Today, there is all kinds of information on the internet you can find when researching headaches. Tension headaches. Stress headaches. Migraines. Migraines with aura. Position headaches. Headaches due to menstrual cycles. Sinus headaches. A personal favorite is the “normal headache” (you’re not supposed to have normal headaches). You get the idea. It all boils down to this – you have a headache – and you want it GONE!!!
You’ve taken Ibuprofen, Tylenol, anti-depressants, and several other over-the-counter medications. Either they don’t work, or they work for a short time before you must take them again… and again… and again. All you want is relief from your headache, and you’re not getting it. This is where we can HELP, where we can give you RELIEF from your pain.
Our team at Diamond Chiropractic is exceptional when it comes to frequent headaches, neck pain, and upper back pain. Regardless if you have had this condition for a while and it’s getting worse (known as chronic pain), or it just appeared today (known as acute pain), our chiropractor in Omaha has the answer and treatment for you. Headaches, especially frequent headaches, are associated with stress and trauma like car crashes, but they can be due to food, job related postures, and bad habits, too.
Common Causes of Headaches
One of the most common causes for headaches today are poor posture and poor head placement, “text neck”. People often spend hours on their phones, their heads tilting downward which amplifies their head weight. Imagine holding a gallon of milk at arm’s length versus keeping it close to the body. In this position, the head often feels like it weighs 20-35 pounds, instead of its normal 10-12. This is a pretty big change when you think about it.
Injuries Causing Headaches
Headaches, and any associated neck pain, can also originate from injuries. Whether it is work-related, sports-related, or from an auto accident, these injuries start with a sudden “pull” feeling, followed by building pain intensity. In most cases, they are traumatic, whiplash-like injuries, resulting in torn muscles and ligaments. Because of this, a side-effect or symptom from such injuries is a headache. If left untreated, the pain can develop further into a stiff neck and limited range of motion; migraines can develop, as well.
Pinched Nerve Causing Headaches
A third type of headaches and migraines can be caused by an improperly aligned spine. When the cervical bones are not in the proper position, they can put pressure on surrounding nerves. In a sense, these bones pinch the nerves slightly, causing pain and muscle spasms. This pressure, or pinch, can lead to damage of the nerve, which can flow to the upper shoulder, arm, and hand. Symptoms like radiating pain, tingling in the fingers, and numbness of the hand and fingers are common complaints.
The most common causes of headaches/ migraines include:
- Text Neck. This is caused by looking down for extended periods of time. Looking down at a cellphone, and feeling strained muscles in the neck, is an example of developing text neck. Today, the average amount of time for being on electronic devices is four hours!
- Whiplash. Whiplashes typically affect people involved in car accidents or personal injuries. They cause small tears to the muscles and ligaments of the neck, which leads to neck pain, headaches, migraines, swelling, muscle spasm, and limited range of motion.
- Stress. Whether it’s a job, family, or life in general, stress causes the muscles to become alert and constantly ready for action. This can result in pain in the neck, back, and the head.
- Muscle Strain. Like a whiplash, muscle strain limits itself to torn muscle fibers.
- Subluxations. A subluxation occurs when the vertebrae puts pressure on the nerves exiting the spinal cord, or on any surrounding nerves. In this case, the commonly affected areas are the neck, the upper thoracic spine, and the shoulder regions.
- Food allergies or triggers. This can include caffeine, chocolate, sugars, wheat, alcohol, and even prescribed medicines.
- Improper sleep. Your body regenerates and heals at night, while you’re asleep. If you are not getting close to 6-8 hours of restful sleep, you can experience headaches or migraines.
Headache Treatment from Our Omaha Chiropractor
Here at Diamond Chiropractic, we use conservative, fast and effective chiropractic treatment to help correct and heal your headache or migraine. Headache relief treatment includes a very light chiropractic adjustment (safe for babies and grandmothers) to realign the musculoskeletal system. We use the Prone Specific Adjusting combined with Zone Technique; we call it Prone Specific Zone Technique. It allows us to narrow down what is causing your headaches/ migraines, and how we are going to correct them.
Headaches and migraines can result from imbalances in Zone 2 (common for sinus headaches), Zone 3, and Zone 6. In 92-94% of the time you will be more than pleased with the outcome of the treatment.
Our Doctors in Omaha use the following for headache treatment and migraine treatment:
- Chiropractic adjustment. Spinal adjustment is the technique that chiropractors use to relieve patient pain, speed the healing process and improve the functioning of the nervous system. Spinal adjustment is a technique that chiropractors use to heal all patients.
- Stretches and exercises. Stretches and exercises can help improve range of motion for patients suffering from muscle pain and musculoskeletal injuries.
- Needle-free Acupuncture. We use electroacupuncture (needleless) to stimulate endorphin release. It helps with headaches and migraines caused by neck pain, upper back and cervical spine injury. This treatment works well with patients wanting to avoid using drugs, or dealing with grogginess from medications for neck pain.
- Lifestyle advice. Our lifestyle advice helps patients avoid injuries and muscle pain. They include posture changes, sleeping habits, pillow recommendations and may more.
- Corrective Exercises. Along with treatment in our office, we also provide our patients with corrective exercises. These exercises get your body up and moving so you can maintain the therapeutic benefits of chiropractic treatments in between your sessions.
Contact Our Omaha Chiropractor for your Headache Relief
To get started with chiropractic care for your headache or migraine, choose our Omaha, NE chiropractor today. Diamond Chiropractic Omaha South is currently accepting new patients of all ages. Call our office today. When it comes to headache pain, get relief NOW & FAST.